a. dear,beloved亲爱的。
liefest liege: dearest sovereign最亲爱的君主。
△2H.VI3.1.163: “And with your best endeavour have stirredup / My liefest liege to be mine enemy;”并且用最大的努力鼓动我的君主成为我的敌人。
lief
ad. willingly,gladly情愿地,乐意地。
△Wiv.4.2.120 (113):“I had as lief bear so much lead.”我倒宁愿抬这么一篓铅。
△As.1.1.154(146):“I had as lief thoudidst break his neck as his finger.”我巴不得你把他的脖子连同手指一起掐断呢。
△As.3.2.270 (253):“I thank youfor your company,but,good faith,I had as lief havebeen myself alone.”我感谢你陪伴着我;不过,老实讲,我倒是喜欢独自在这里。
△Ado. 2. 3. 90 (81):“I had as liefhave heard the night-raven,come what plague couldhave come after it.”我宁愿听夜里的乌鸦叫,不管有什么祸事会跟着它一起来。
△Rom.2.4.216 (202):“but she,goodsoul,had as lief see a toad,a very toad,as see him.”i.e.she would as willingly see a toad as see him. 可是她,好人儿,看见他就看见了一只癞蛤蟆。
△Ham.3.2.3: “Ihad as lief the town-crier spoke my lines. ”我倒宁愿叫宣布告示的公差来念我的戏词了。
△H.V. 3 . 7 . 66 (59): “Ihad as lief have my mistress a jade. ”我倒宁愿把我的情妇当做一匹不值钱的马。
△2H.IV . 3 . 2 . 240 (222):“I had aslief be hanged,sir,as go,”先生,我情愿被绞死,也不愿去当兵。